Raise a glass to love, to a new life and continued success and happiness. Wedding toasts have been a part of the wedding ceremonies since the very beginning. Originating as early as the 6th century BCE, the first toasts featured clinking of glasses so hard that the beverage would splash and mix together; proving there was no poison.
Modern wedding toasts, now include a short dialogue and a call to everyone present to raise their glasses and drink to the happiness of the newlyweds. If you’ve been tasked with toasting the happy couple, look no further. We’ve curated a list of our favourite toasts, perfect for anyone attending a wedding.
One Line Wedding Toasts
Firstly, we begin with the one liners. Whether you’re a guest or a member of the bridal party, these make for an excellent choice.
- “May your wedding days be few and your anniversaries many!”
- “Here’s to the new husband and here’s to the new wife, may they remain lovers their whole life.”
- “May your joys be as deep as the ocean, and your troubles as light as its foam.”
- “To the two secrets to a long-lasting happy marriage: here’s to a good sense of humour –and a short memory!”
- “May ‘for better or worse’ be far better than worse.”
- “Where there is love, there is no darkness.”
Few Lined Toasts
In addition to the true one liners, a few lines can be just as effective, sending out a ripple of “aw” through the audience or getting everyone to chuckle.
7. “Here’s to the past, for all that you’ve learnt. Here’s to the present, for all that you share. And here’s to the future, for all that you’ve got to look forward to.”
8. “May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But, if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows, and if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life. And if you must cheat, then please cheat death because I couldn’t live a day without you.”
9. “Here’s to love, laughter and happily ever after. As (Groom) and (Bride) start their new life, let’s toast the new husband and wife!”
10. “Before we raise a glass to the newlyweds, I’d like to share a Pauline Thomason quote with you: ‘Love is blind – marriage is the eye-opener.’ To the happy couple!”
11. “May your love always be added and never be subtracted. May your household multiply and may your hearts never be divided!”
12. “May you be friends to each other as only lovers can, and may you love each other as only best friends can.”
Finally, the longer toasts. While anyone can say a longer toast, they are generally reserved for the parents or the best man/maid of honor!
13. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. But, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
14. “May thy life be long and happy, Thy cares and sorrows few. And the many friends around thee, prove faithful, fond and true. May your voyage through life be as happy and as free as the dancing waves on the deep blue sea.”
15. “May the hinges of friendship never rust. Or the wings of love lose a feather! Ladies and gentlemen, the bride and the groom. May they live happily forever.”
16. “Rumor has it in a perfect family, the wife does not pay attention to where the money comes from, and the husband does not notice where it is going. May you have a truly perfect family!”
17. “Let your marriage be happy! Live in friendship and harmony. We always want happiness to be long, and therefore I wish you happiness to be eternal, let your love burn bright, and friends remain true! Let’s drink to a happy union!
18. “Congratulations on the termination of your isolation and may I express an appreciation of your determination to end the desperation and frustration which has caused you so much consternation in giving you the inspiration to make a combination to bring an accumulation to the population.”
Above all, a good wedding toast is short, sweet and maybe provides a laugh. Moreover, if you are planning on saying a few words, get some practise in before the big day. And be careful not to drink too much! Many of the best wedding toasts have a bit of wordplay that needs to be recited perfectly.
If you’re planning your toasts for your wedding, we invite you to look through our portfolio and contact us today! Be sure to follow us on Pinterest where we are always pinning the latest wedding trends.